WORK WITH US AT EXPERIENCE OUTDOORS
As an organisation, our policy of training, volunteering and career progression is key to our vision and policy. Below you will find our current opportunities.
INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT SCHEME - Lagganlia Outdoor Centre
Lagganlia Centre for Outdoor Education
Interview Date: Monday 27th May 2019 – Wednesday 29th May 2019
Start Date: Monday 12th August 2019 for One Year
We aim to recruit four individuals each year on to the Instructor Development Scheme. This scheme will provide these people with the opportunity of one year’s training and development.
Our instructor development scheme is a part of the City of Edinburgh Council’s Outdoor Learning Team. Operating from three different local education centres one based in the City of Edinburgh itself, while the second is based in the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs national park near Dunoon, and the third based in the Cairngorm National Park near Aviemore, which is where this post is based for the year.
During your time with us, you may have the opportunity to work in all three centres gaining experience working in different environments/groups improving your skill set as well as working towards and gaining NGB awards.
Our Outdoor Learning courses are part of the Curriculum of Excellence and we add valuable content and experience to each pupils learning journey in their School career. Helping facilitate and encouraging individuals to be Successful learners, confident individuals, responsible citizens and effective contributors. They also learn to respect the interests of others, build a love for the environment and take shared responsibility for their learning and own actions. These courses give depth to the personal and social education of the pupil allowing them to build their skills as well as exercising important social skills, such as teamwork and leadership.
This scheme is aimed at those who are already resilient participants in the outdoor world and want to formalise what they already do into a solid career as an outdoor learning practitioner. This is ideally someone who enjoys and actively participates in activities such as hill walking, rock climbing, paddle sport, mountain biking, snow sports, and sailing, and uses their spare time to pursue these activities.
We offer training, mentoring and practical experience in all the things that make an outdoor residential centre tick. We aim to build on practical experience so you can progress from basic instructing to facilitating sessions at a high professional standard.
To maximize the opportunities you will receive a programme of
- Outdoor Learning Practitioner Training: Theory and practical sessions focusing on Curriculum for Excellence through Outdoor Learning will be run in conjunction with existing senior staff and EOL’s associate staff team. A developmental programme of shadowing and later facilitating your own outdoor learning course will be the desired learning outcome over the twelve months.
- Practical NGB Training: NGB’s are the practical building blocks of a solid all-around outdoor practitioner; this may include, MT Summer Mountain Leader Training, MT Rock Climbing awards, BCU UKCC Level 1, Snowsports Scotland Trainee/Instructor award, British Cycling Level 2 Mountain Bike and GB Archery Instructor. Each student will receive an individualized programme through their year which is relevant to their chosen path and the centre's needs.
- Operational Training: A programme of maintenance and trade training that will allow individuals to operate in any centre and contribute to the daily operations of EOL. Awards such as Velotech Silver Bicycle maintenance, ski/snowboard servicing, ski lift maintenance and practical experience in repairing of outdoor gear as well as general maintenance and gardening. We will also aim to put you through your D1 driving test (Subject to requirements).
- All this will happen alongside a busy programme of residential outdoor learning which you will be an active part of throughout the evening and weekend programme. You will have access to advise and support to go adventuring in your time off to assist your NGB development. We require a high level of commitment for 12 months; this scheme is not paid however we will provide full board and Accommodation, as well as a training budget.
- We require you to have held a clean driving license for a minimum of 2 years and be a minimum of 21years of age.
Please apply via CV to the below email address or by contacting the Centre directly.
Lagganlia Outdoor Education Centre
Tel: 01540 651 265